[Urwid] Possible Urwid frontend

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Sat May 10 08:34:26 EDT 2014

Absolutely

I started work in this direction with raw_display but never quite finished.

I'd be happy to use code from curtsies to finish my raw_display hack and/or
add a curtsies_display module.

I was also thinking that curtsies looked perfect for a the terminal widget
to use instead of the current unpleasant list of lists of tuples.

On 9 May 2014 22:03, "Thomas Ballinger" <tom at hackerschool.com> wrote:

> Following up on this:
>
> http://ballingt.com/2013/12/21/bpython-curtsies.html shows examples, and
is included in the soon-to-be-released bpython 0.13.

> Does support for command line interfaces with this behavior belong in
urwid? I've used my own terminal wrapper thing (
https://github.com/thomasballinger/curtsies) but using urwid instead would
be cool (as would understanding urwid well enough to know that this
functionality doesn't belong in urwid). Thoughts?

> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>

> On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Thomas Ballinger <tom at hackerschool.com>
wrote:

>> Has there been any work on or does there already exist an Urwid frontend
that would work for keeping history for a widget-drawing REPL integrated
with the rest of terminal history?

>> I'm playing with the idea here (
https://github.com/thomasballinger/scottwasright, screencast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-W3M7L0ovQ&feature=youtu.be) and mentioned
it in the the #bpython irc channel, where it was suggested to me this might
make sense as an Urwid frontend. Is this within the purvue of Urwid? (the
repl use case seems fairly different from apps using Urwid I'm used besides
bpython) If so, is this still too special-purpose to think about
integrating into Urwid as a frontend?