[Urwid] Bug: Signal module create backreferences

Dominic LoBue dom.lobue at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:29:20 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Dominic LoBue <dom.lobue at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Ian Ward <ian at excess.org> wrote:
>> Dominic LoBue wrote on 2010-03-04 14:55:
>>> While trying to figure out why my program is eating up so much ram I
>>> discovered that objects that were supposed to be dead were still
>>> alive. Much debugging later, I discovered that the problem was caused
>>> by an object being kept alive by references to it by the
>>> _urwid_signals attribute its children objects.
>>> You can probably resolve this problem by using
>>> weakref.WeakValueDictionary instead of a dict. Although personally I'd
>>> prefer it if you switch back to having the signal registry in the
>>> Signals class again (one big dict is smaller than thousands and
>>> thousands of tiny ones).
>>
>> Hi Dominic,
>>
>> I would love some help in this area.  I preferred the old method too,
>> but the way it was being done caused another leak that I couldn't find a
>> solution to.
>>
>> If you can make signals work with one dictionary in the Signals class
>> and not leak objects, please do.
>>
>> Ian

> Ian,
>
> I update the signals class to use your old signals and metasignals
> classes. You can check it out here for reference:
> http://gist.github.com/322085
>
> After upping the max_depth argument being passed to objgraph, I ran
> the example program again and got back a massive png. The PNG is 9
> megs, so I'll upload the .dot file instead:
> http://upload.jkvl.com//files/2/objects.dot    To generate a png from
> a .dot file run: dot -Tpng objects.dot -o objects.png        (Note:
> you need graphviz to be installed)
>
> I'm still going through the graph, but you may want to take a look at it too.

Wait, I think I found it:
<class '__main__.my_object'>: ['something'],

in Signals._supported

I changed _supported to a WeakKeyDictionary. This reduced the
complexity of the graph, but the problem persists...

Okay, the only thing left now that refers to the parent object
"my_object" is.... the instance of its own method that is stored in
the _connections attribute of Signals... Gotta love recursion.

I made the stored callback a weakref.proxy object, only to get this:
"ReferenceError: weakly-referenced object no longer exists"

--
Dominic LoBue