[Urwid] UrwidProtocol for Twisted

Aaron Gallagher habnabit at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 01:15:10 EDT 2010

> Ali Afshar wrote something similar for twisted conch:
>
>    http://bitbucket.org/aafshar/txurwid-main/
>
> This is a feature I'd love to have in the library (if it works well).
> Is there a reason that a protocol in Twisted must be tied to SSH or
> telnet, or can they be made to work with either?

I used telnet because it allows for negotiation of things like cursor display and screen size. txurwid uses a pty over SSH, which is closer to a real terminal. With a bit of work, I believe you could get txurwid to function properly over telnet as well.

Really, the whole problem is getting something that'll allow you to emulate a terminal. Protocols in Twisted don't have to use telnet or SSH at all, and many don't. I'm just not aware of any other commonly-used protocols that would work for these purposes.

> I'd be happy to take patches that make this sort of feature easier to add.

I can try to provide something that both txurwid and my implementation would benefit from.

Aaron