[Urwid] UrwidProtocol for Twisted

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Mon Jul 26 09:06:26 EDT 2010

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Gallagher wrote on 2010-07-25 19:01:
> I've created a prototype/proof-of-concept version of an
> UrwidProtocol. It acts as a telnet server, and as clients connect,
> each gets a new urwid mainloop. I haven't tested it very extensively,
> but it seems to work pretty well.

Ali Afshar wrote something similar for twisted conch:

    http://bitbucket.org/aafshar/txurwid-main/

This is a feature I'd love to have in the library (if it works well).
Is there a reason that a protocol in Twisted must be tied to SSH or
telnet, or can they be made to work with either?

> With some refactoring in urwid, it could be a bit easier to
> implement. Right now, it duplicates and semi-reimplements code from
> raw_display.Screen because that's pretty tied to using stdin/stdout.

I'd be happy to take patches that make this sort of feature easier to add.

Ian