[Urwid] Urwid repos, manual, display modules

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Thu Feb 25 18:11:25 EST 2010

Hello all, here is a little collection of recent Urwid developments.

I've put up mirrors of the Urwid repository on bitbucket[1] and
github[2], and I'll try to keep them up to date going forward.
These sites can be really nice for collaboration, so if you've got
improvements for Urwid, feel free to fork it and send me a pull request.
Patches by email or this list are still welcome, of course.

[1] http://bitbucket.org/wardi/urwid/
[2] http://github.com/wardi/urwid

I've also spent some time on the long-neglected Urwid User Manual[3].
There's still a few sections left to fill in, but I would appreciate
your comments or fixes to what's there right now.

[3] http://excess.org/urwid/wiki/UrwidManual

On IRC a few days ago someone suggested the idea of using Urwid to drive
a small LCD panel with a few buttons.  This person also needs the code
to be based on Glib, which fortunately is already supported.  I quite
like the idea, so I'm hoping to write a display module for a similar
device[4] in the near future.

Also, Ali Afshar has recently contributed[5][6] a really nice display
module based on Twisted Conch.  This module lets you serve many SSH
clients from the same Urwid application, each user with their own interface.

[4] http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/XES635BK-TFE-KU.html
[5] https://excess.org/hg/urwid-contrib/file/
[6] http://bitbucket.org/aafshar/txurwid-main/src/

If you're doing something interesting with Urwid, please say "hi" on the
list or on IRC.  It would be great to hear from you.  If you've released
some code based on Urwid, please add a link to the application list[6].

[6] http://excess.org/urwid/wiki/ApplicationList