[Urwid] TreeWidget/TreeWalker class

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Mon Feb 15 00:09:36 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Ian Ward <ian at excess.org> wrote:

> Rob Lanphier wrote:
> > I spent the past week hammering away at TreeWidget/TreeWalker, and I
> > have something now that I'm pretty confident is a general purpose
> > widget.  In addition to rewriting my own app to use it, I rewrote
> > urwid's browse.py sample app to take advantage of it, which other than a
> > couple minor cosmetic changes, performs identically to the version that
> > ships with urwid.  Code is here:
> > http://bitbucket.org/robla/urwid-treetools/
>
> I see this is based on 0.9.8, would you update the code for 0.9.9
> (_get_w and _set_w instead of get_w and set_w, using MainLoop)

Okee doke.  I just pushed a version which I think syncs all of the important
changes in browse.py made since 0.9.8.

>  Also it
> would be nice to see how this modified code is used by another app to
> see the reasoning behind your changes.

I just pushed a new version of my app here which uses this code:
http://bitbucket.org/robla/jsonwidget-python/

...but it's still in pretty rough shape, so it may not make the best
example.  If I get the chance, I'll write a small sample app that
demonstrates a simple use case.

> It's quite a bit of extra code to include with the browse.py example,
> but it should be possible to incorporate some of the changes back.  Or
> with the changes above I could include your code in the urwid-contrib repo.

 Wherever works for you is fine by me.  I think it'll be pretty useful for
folks, but I can understand not wanting to take on the maintenance burden of
an unproven widget.

Rob