[Urwid] Advice on overhaul vs tweak

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Mon Feb 8 14:14:45 EST 2010

Hi folks,

As I alluded to in my last mail, the widget work I'm doing stems from a
larger project I'm working on.  I'm building  a tool for taking a generic
JSON schema, and building a UI for it using urwid.  The code for that
project is here:
http://bitbucket.org/robla/jsonwidget-python/

I'm looking for some advice.  Things on that project are going pretty well,
but I'm worried that I painted myself into a corner with my current
approach.  Due to the way I've nested the widgets, I don't seem to have a
good way of reseting the focus. If you're feeling adventurous, you can grab
the code, and try the following test:
*  Run ./jsonedit
*  Add a couple items to the list
*  Move the cursor to one of them, then type 'ctrl d' (delete node).  Notice
that you can see your selection (and ignore the display quirks for now, as
well as the fact that deletion doesn't actually work yet)
*  Add more items (enough that scrolling is needed to see the bottom of the
list)
*  Select one of the bottom nodes
*  Notice that focus pops up to the top.

My hunch is that my problems stem from not really having a good ListWalker
in place.  As it stands, my ListBox widget contains one big widget, which in
turn contains lots of subwidgets.  There was a comment that Ian made on IRC
that I didn't fully understand at the time, but I think I'm coming into the
exact problem that he warned me about.  He wrote: "just a general comment
about deeply-nested widgets: they will be opaque to your ListBox, so
scrolling might not behave the way you want".

Actually internalizing that realization lead me to looking at browse.py, and
thus my work on separating out the TreeWalker from that code.  However,
fitting everything into a new TreeWidget/TreeWalker regime looks like it's
going to be a large overhaul to an existing part of my code.

My question: does my hunch about needing TreeWalker seem correct?   Is there
an easier tweak I can make, or am I probably better off biting the bullet
and doing the overhaul now?  I realize the answer is almost certainly going
to be "it depends", but some general advice about handling focus issues
would be much appreciated.

Rob
p.s. if this seems like an easier question to answer on IRC, feel free to
ping me there.  I'm on #urwid as "robla"