[Urwid] A couple of urwid-related talks I'm planning to give

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Sun Apr 4 23:58:55 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Andrew Psaltis <ampsaltis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I implemented the GlibEventLoop was actually implemented so urwid
> applications could talk to DBus in a nice way.
>
> A real-life example of an application that could use it is wicd-curses, an
> urwid frontend to wicd that I wrote.  It should help developers avoid the
> various chaos that occurred when I first figured out how to use DBus in
> urwid apps.  I don't actually use the urwid.MainLoop class in wicd-curses to
> preserve compatibility with earlier urwid versions, but the same idea
> persists.

Wonderful example, thanks!

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Ian Ward <ian at excess.org> wrote:
> I didn't mention the default event loop based on select() that can work
> well with the more common threaded or multiprocess way of getting work
> done without tying up the UI.  Finally if you really know best you can
> also just write your own main loop (the way it was done before 0.9.9.)

Good point.  There's at least one place in my current project that I
had to fire off a separate thread just to have something signal-ish.
I think I've got a good sense of how to talk about that in a way that
someone new to urwid might appreciate.

> But, don't just listen to me.  I wrote most of Urwid so of course I
> think the newest features are the most interesting.  The perspective of
> a new user is probably better for selecting features to highlight.

Yup, agreed.  I think where your perspective will be handy is:
1.  what are the things that the newcomers seem to ask about the most?
2.  what are the things that newcomers tend to trip over?

Thanks for chiming in!  Hopefully I can get a few people interested in
working with urwid.

Rob