[Urwid] A couple of urwid-related talks I'm planning to give

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Sun Apr 4 18:59:16 EDT 2010

Rob Lanphier wrote on 2010-04-04 17:22:
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Ian Ward <ian at excess.org> wrote:
>> The twisted-conch work Ali Afshar started (serve lots of ssh users with
>> one app) is very promising, very cool.  I hope to pull that in to Urwid
>> some time soon.
>>
>> Also, the work to support Twisted and Glib by just changing a parameter
>> on the MainLoop class is extremely handy for apps that need it.
>
> I'll make sure I at least briefly touch on those.  Would it be fair to
> say that the main benefit of a GLib event loop is that it makes it
> much easier to pull in the glib bindings and do things like listen for
> d-bus events?  What's a good example of a theoretical but practical
> application you would use to get people excited about using a GLib
> main loop?

Andrew mentioned his wicd-curses program, and I believe D-Bus is the big
thing selling point for GLib.

Twisted, of course has support for almost any network protocol
(including D-Bus messages) if you're willing to write your apps the
Twisted way.

I didn't mention the default event loop based on select() that can work
well with the more common threaded or multiprocess way of getting work
done without tying up the UI.  Finally if you really know best you can
also just write your own main loop (the way it was done before 0.9.9.)

Or in fewer words, "yes, it will work with that".

>> And maybe something about Urwid not trying to be TurboVision (for those
>> old enough to remember that)  UI concepts that work well on the console
>> are often different than ones that work for GUIs.  The most popular
>> console apps are space-efficient and keyboard-focused.  I've tried to
>> write Urwid for that kind of app.
> As I think you're saying here, though, "usable" doesn't necessarily
> mean ASCII-art borders, drop shadows, and a mouse-centric UI.  People
> using SSH may very easily still be constrained by what's possible over
> vt102, so making a lot of assumptions about I/O devices and screen
> real estate may easily result in something less usable.
>
> Is that compatible with what you see as the vision for the urwid project?

Certainly.  I see mouse-focused GUI-inspired interfaces as just a small
part of what is possible with Urwid.

But, don't just listen to me.  I wrote most of Urwid so of course I
think the newest features are the most interesting.  The perspective of
a new user is probably better for selecting features to highlight.