[Urwid] A couple of urwid-related talks I'm planning to give

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Sat Apr 3 19:43:40 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I recently had talks about Urwid accepted for a couple of upcoming conferences:

LinuxFest Northwest
Bellingham, WA
April 24-25 (Exact time TBD)
http://linuxfestnorthwest.org/sessions/using-urwid-and-python-console-applications

O'Reilly's Open Source Convention (OSCON)
Portland, OR
July 22 (Thursday, 1:40pm)
Great User Interfaces in the Terminal Window:
http://www.oscon.com/oscon2010/public/schedule/detail/13958

I'm planning to represent myself as the beginner that I am rather than
an expert on urwid, drawing on my experience building jsonwidget.  I'm
of course using this as an excuse to plug jsonwidget, but I'm not
planning on making jsonwidget the central focus of either of these
talks.  That said, what I might do is through together a quick demo
using pinot.py out of jsonwidget  to create a nano/pico lookalike
clone.

Anything in particular about urwid that I should highlight for people
that are brand new to urwid?  I don't expect anyone to walk out of
either of these sessions having remembered more than 3-4 things, so
what are the most important 3-4 things people should walk away with?

Rob