[Urwid] ANN: PuDB - the Python Urwid Debugger

Adam Blackburn compwiz18 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 09:53:09 EDT 2009

Hi,

Looks very promising. However, a couple of issues I encountered:

 * When using the "q" key to quit, I cannot see any of the characters I
enter into the terminal after pudb exits until I reset the terminal using
the "reset" command.
 * When using the "!" key to invoke a Python shell, I cannot see anything I
type and the prompt is not aligned with the left side of the screen. Typing
blindly still results in the expected output, which is also not
left-aligned.
 * For whatever reason, the __file__ variable does not exist when using
PuDB, which causes my test program to raise an exception that is not raised
when it is executed normally.

I am using the Gnome terminal, Python 2.6, Urwid 0.9.8.4 on Ubuntu 9.04. The
program I was running was wicd-client (from wicd) using python -m pudb
/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py.

A couple other things that aren't bugs, but should perhaps be considered:
 * In the Gnome terminal, F1 is mapped to the terminal's help command, so
pressing it does not have the desired effect until terminal's help is
disabled. You may wish to consider changing the key from F1 to something
else.
 * Syntax highlighting is silently disabled if pygments is not installed.
Perhaps a short warning or a message the first time the program is run
indicating the problem?

Other than those things, it looks very useful. I'm not an expert on Urwid,
so I can't give you too much of an idea on how to fix the above problems,
but this is the Urwid mailing list, so I expect someone else on here
probably can ;)

Let me know if you want screenshots or want me to test something.

Adam