[Urwid] Create pile from list

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Mon Jun 1 12:01:51 EDT 2009

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to create a pile from a list of e.g. 'Text' widgets.
> Right now, I am doing something like this:
>
> self.piler=Pile([Button(liste[0]) ,Text(liste[1])
> ,Text(liste[2]),Text(liste[3]) ,Edit(liste[4]) ,Text(liste[5])
> ,Text(liste[6]) ,Text(liste[7]) ,Text(liste[8])])
>
> but in general I have no idea about the length of the list, so a loop
> over every list item would be needed. Does anyone have an idea?

Are you just asking how to make a Text widget for every item in a list?
  Pile([Text(x) for x in liste])

> And one more question, I am often using a simple 'print' to 'debug'
> certain variables, but this does not work in background!? Thanks!

The best way of handling debugging at the moment is to use the python
logging module to log to a file.  printing will disturb urwid's output.

There is some interesting work going on in this area, however.
Hopefully Andrew will have some code to post soon.