[Urwid] Problem with ö in Input-Widgets.

Christian Scharkus mail.sensenmann at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 30 09:37:16 EST 2008

Hi.

As I written in former mails I'm currently writing a Chat Client with urwid
and sometimes then I type some unicode character like ö, ä, ü or ß urwid
crashes with following traceback:

Traceback:

File "/home/arch/keckz/trunk/controllerKeckz.py", line 242, in ownprivMsg
self.view.printMsg(nick,msg,"",3)
File "/home/arch/keckz/trunk/cliView.py", line 130, in printMsg
self.lookupRooms[room].addLine(msg)
File "/home/arch/keckz/trunk/cliView.py", line 255, in addLine
self.Output.append(urwid.Text(text))
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/urwid/widget.py", line 443, in
__init__
self.set_text(markup)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/urwid/widget.py", line 477, in
set_text
self._text, self._attrib = decompose_tagmarkup(markup)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/urwid/util.py", line 368, in
decompose_tagmarkup
text = "".join(tl)

exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in
position 1: ordinal not in range(128)

I'm not sure wether it is a bug in my code or urwids fault but if not I hope
you can say me for what I have to look out. The strange think is that I can
sometimes type normal and send the string with unicode-chars and sometimes
even typing them crashes the screen. I'm using urwid 0.9.8.3hg149-1 on
ArchLinux.

greetings
Christian