[Urwid] urwid + circuits = irc client

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Mon Dec 29 20:02:11 EST 2008

Heya all,

A recent post to this list prompted me to port an
old example irc client of my older/deprecated library
pymills to circuits using urwid for it's curses display.

I haven't quite finished it yet - but I'm hoping someone
here can play with it and help me fix it ? :) There are
2 known issues right now:

1. Not all keyboard input seems to be grabbed/echoed to the display
(only the first char is)
2. I'm not sure why (yet) but nothing is being displayed on screen.

I need to find a nice clean way of displaying debug information/messages.
Suggestions ?

Code at: http://hg.softcircuit.com.au/index.wsgi/projects/circuits/file/2453189c230e/examples/circ.py

This is being build/tested against urwid-0.9.8.3
and the development version of circuits.

Installing circuits:

$ hg clone http://hg.softcircuit.com.au/projects/circuits/
$ cd circuits
$ python setup.py develop
$ python setup.py develop

You'll need Mercurial (1) to checkout/clone the development
repository. Also note the 2 "develop" commands, there is
a small bug in my version.py :)

cheers
James

1. http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/