[Urwid] urwid and twisted

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Mon Dec 29 08:55:45 EST 2008

Ian Ward wrote:
> Christian Scharkus wrote:
>> Hi everybody.
>>
>> I'm currently writing a small chatclient based upon twisted in a mvc
>> pattern and decided (because of the python-curses module not
>> supporting clean utf-8 output) to write the userinterface with urwid.
>> I've found a little example for a irc-client in urwid using the same
>> method to join with twisted I used with curses (register with the
>> reactor using the addReader-method) and began to implement input at
>> first. In my humble opinion the code should work but it isn't. I
>> discovered the twisted main loop in urwid too but have no idea how to
>> make use of it.
>>
>> Here the code and the exception
>> http://codepad.org/0Hlvmp1b
>
> I might have introduced a bug into the latest hg version of
> raw_display.  I've run into a similar problem in some code I am working
> on, let me look into it.

Try the latest from hg.  I broke raw_display for displaying things
without an attribute set.

(generic,twisted)_main_loop are some new APIs that simplify common Urwid
applications.  It is now possible to have a single-line Urwid app:

urwid.generic_main_loop(urwid.Filler(urwid.Text("hello",align='center')))

(generic,twisted)_main_loop will take care of creating a Screen
instance, initializing the palette, and passing input to the widgets to
be handled.  See: help(urwid.generic_main_loop)