[Urwid] urwid and twisted

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Sun Dec 28 17:33:09 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Christian Scharkus
<mail.sensenmann at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody.

Hi :)

> I'm currently writing a small chatclient based upon twisted in a mvc pattern
> and decided (because of the python-curses module not supporting clean utf-8
> output) to write the userinterface with urwid. I've found a little example
> for a irc-client in urwid using the same method to join with twisted I used
> with curses (register with the reactor using the addReader-method) and began
> to implement input at first. In my humble opinion the code should work but
> it isn't. I discovered the twisted main loop in urwid too but have no idea
> how to make use of it.
>
> Here the code and the exception
> http://codepad.org/0Hlvmp1b

I really strongly recommend that you not use
Twisted for your application, but rather use
circuits (1) instead. Why ? It's simpler, easier
to develop with and far more flexible.

Please check it out, I'm sure if you should be
sufficiently experienced enough to port your
urwid application to use circuits vs. twisted.

I might just write up a simple irc client when
I get home from work today to demonstrate
how simple it is.

cheers
James

PS: Threads are evil :)