[Urwid] Metaclass error

Deniz Dogan deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 08:58:45 EST 2008

Hello. When trying to install the latest hg version of Urwid, I get this:

deniz at stalin:~/sources/urwid% python setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 31, in <module>
    import urwid
  File "/home/deniz/sources/urwid/urwid/__init__.py", line 49, in <module>
    from listbox import *
  File "/home/deniz/sources/urwid/urwid/listbox.py", line 85, in <module>
    class SimpleListWalker(MonitoredList, ListWalker):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/abc.py", line 76, in __new__
    cls = super(ABCMeta, mcls).__new__(mcls, name, bases, namespace)
TypeError: Error when calling the metaclass bases
    metaclass conflict: the metaclass of a derived class must be a
(non-strict) subclass of the metaclasses of all its bases

There was a patch for this, which I couldn't get to work. When will
this be fixed? As you can see in the error message, I'm using Python
2.6.

Deniz