[Urwid] Weird LineBox behavior

John Powell jpowell at vmware.com
Fri Jun 1 17:13:23 EDT 2007

I recently tried running an urwid app I had written on a 2.6 kernel (was
testing on 2.4) and realized some strange behavior from the LineBox control.

Where I expect to see a solid line surrounding the frame I have wrapped
instead I see a sequence of letters.. 'q' for the upper and lower bounding
region, 'x' on the left and right side and starting from the left top corner
and moving to the right the letters 'l', 'k', 'm', 'j'. To illustrate it
looks like this...

lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
x               x
x               x
x               x
mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

It seems to be that there is a problem with the utf8decode function but I am
not sure how to diagnose and fix the problem. Any ideas?

Regards,

John