[Urwid] urwid in pure unicore

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Mon Jan 1 02:02:41 EST 2007

Victor Stinner wrote:
> Ooops, urwid-unicode.patch and urwid-unicode-tab2.patch were buggy. I fixed
> the bug and also improve it.
>
> New version (urwid-unicode-v7.patch), better (no more space/tab conflict) and
> *faster*!
>
> New benchmark
>    without the patch: 7.8 sec
>    with the patch:    2.7 sec

Your patch conflicts with this change:
http://excess.org/urwid/changeset/48

This is a patch you can apply against 0.9.7.1 (with the right -p parameter):
http://excess.org/urwid/changeset/48?format=diff

> ===
>
> Where/How can I download urwid by subversion?

I've just set up public svn access, so you could use this too:
svn co https://excess.org/svn/urwid/urwid/trunk

Please let me know if your changes perform better than the ones I've
committed.

> ===
>
> Would it be possible to use spaces in urwid code because I hate TAB! PEP 8
> propose "4 spaces per indentation level":
>    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

I prefer tabs in code -- they force me to write shallow functions and
keep me from worrying about aligning and realigning continued lines.
They also represent ~0.8% of the available ascii space that would
otherwise go to waste :-)

However, it seems the Python world has spoken.  I suppose I will have to
relent, eventually...