[Urwid] Some general questions (plans, features, etc.)
ian at excess.org
Fri Oct 6 19:12:08 EDT 2006
Claude Marinier wrote:
> I have been looking for a scripting language and a UI library for small
> applications which need to run through SSH or telnet. Python with urwid
> may be the solution. What I have seen so far looks good.
> This leads me to some questions about the project.
> 1) What are the development and release plans? Is 1.0 coming soon?
There are a few things I would like to add before releasing 1.0:
- a widget like ListBox for horizontal scrolling
- vertical and horizontal scroll bars
- widget packing based on text content
- detection and handling of terminals that are not displaying UTF-8
- text selection in Edit widgets
- Canvas performance improvements
- add \t character handling to StandardTextLayout (maybe)
- 256 colour xterm support (maybe)
- bidirectional text support (maybe)
- user's manual
I'd like to get a 1.0 release out in the next 8 months or so, but that
all depends on how much free time I have.
> 2) Are most of the planned features already implemented?
Yes. The big disruptive change was UTF-8 support in 0.9.0, most of the
upcoming changes are fairly straightforward.
> 3) After 1.0 is released, will you pursue stability rather than more
I think that except for very new features Urwid is very stable right
now. I use the latest versions with a program I rely on every day.
After 1.0 I plan to put the core part of Urwid into maintenance mode,
and only add things that use the existing API: new widgets, text
layouts, examples etc.
Hope this answers your questions,
More information about the Urwid