[Urwid] Re: newbie looks for more examples

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Wed Aug 30 20:40:03 EDT 2006

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> Thanks for your help! One major drawback of lfm/curses is
> the speed: it is pretty slow, when there are a lot of files
> in a directory. urwid seems to be much faster, at least the
> browser example looks like that... so it would be a nice
> project for the urwid package, but my time and knowledge is
> limited :-(

browse.py doesn't do any stat()'ing of the files in the directory, which
might account for the speed difference. Urwid does let you do that
lazily (as files appear on screen instead of all at once), so it will
seem faster with lots of files.

Post any Urwid-specific issues you have to the list and I'll try to help.