[Urwid] Re: Running Urwid on Windows

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Thu Aug 24 15:04:33 EDT 2006

Terry Carroll wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Ian Ward wrote:
>
>> Announcing Urwid 0.9.6
>
> Ian,
>
> Judging from the references to curses, which is not supported on Windows, I
> take it that Urwid is not supported (well "supported" is the wrong word:
> "expected to work") on Windows, right?

Urwid can be made to run on windows a number of ways:

You can run Urwid under cygwin:
http://www.cygwin.com
(using either the curses_display or raw_display modules)
This works with window resizing with the xterm that comes with cygwin,
but it will work with cygwin's regular terminal.

Or you can install cursesw:
http://adamv.com/dev/python/curses/
(using the curses_display module only)

Or you can use pdcurses:
http://pdcurses.sourceforge.net/
(using the curses_display module only)
Gottfried Ganßauge posted a patch to the mailing list yesterday to make
special keys work with pdcurses.

HTH,